Thursday, February 3, 2011

Classes start and its the Year of the Rabbit !!! (in China)

Classes started this week and so far it has been a good experience !!! Having been warned repeatedly by local and US faculty that students are quiet and don't respond to questions in class, my experience in the first classes here, have not confirmed those dire warnings. (In general, I am continually struck by the many similarities between the Scandinavian-rooted culture in Minnesota and what I am discovering is typical of Estonians)  Without going into more details than most of you want to hear, I have found students knowledgable, articulate willing to try new things and -occasionally- expressing strong opinions. I hope this continues to be true the rest of the semester. I also am enjoying my colleagues (our first department meeting two weeks ago included wine, rich cakes to celebrate a birthday and lots of friendly joking and cameraderie.)  People are more friendly than I expected, even to the ways people greet me. From my experience in Lithuania and also from conversations with people here, Estonians typically shake hands to greet and say good-by, however many new faculty I meet immediately give me a warm hug. (Which can become comic, as I offer my hand to be culturally appropriate...thus risky a jab in their belly. But so far no casualties).  Of course, words and actions often differ, but so far I have felt warmly welcomed.


Dance/Movement Therapy and Creative Arts Therapy here, it is in a very exciting time. The field is new and local colleagues and students reflect both the excitement that comes with being the creators of a movement as well as the frustrations that come with finding a way to be accepted and legitimized by the status quo.  I am honored and excited to be able to contribute to this movement in Estonia.


Other things that are happening: It is strange to be here at a time of such massive upheaval, possibilites and violence in the Middle East (and specifically Egypt). Every night I turn on BBC World New to find out what has been happening in Cairo. On the TV I see familiar buildings and street that are in shambles.  I am overwhelmed at times, but also hopeful that the true spirit of the Egyptian people will be able to make this national transition. The view of these events from Estonia is through a different and distant- lens. So far no one has talked about it.  I wonder why...perhaps it IS being discussed, but not in English. Or perhaps, as a people Estonians are at such a different place and they are culturally so different (they successfully triumphed over their 'dictatorial power- the USSR, and the way they did this was so different from the way it is happening in Egypt. I wonder how they make sense of this upheaval in the Arab world.)  


An example, for me, of the Estonian process of change and transformation is reflected in a film I saw earlier this week "A monument to please everyone" (it was some thing else in Estonian, so this is the translation) The film is a documentary of the monument created in Tallinn to honor their recent liberation from the USSR. (It is the monument that I walk past every day on my way to school or the old city.)  The design to build the monument came from a national design competition and, in fact was won by a team of 3 young adults- two of them being engineers.  There are amazing scenes of these young people, looking about the age of my students, attending formal conferences with government officials and military personnel.  After they proposed and won the competition, they are show adjusting their design to the various reactions of other Estonian citizens. Many issues are triggered- environmental issues (e.g. trees had to be removed to place the monument), funding sources (did the military's organizational involvement reflect the values of the Estonian people?), was the design too 'glitzy' or not 'glitzy enough'?  At one point the designers of the monument don't like the way the company that will be fabricating the monument (a big international company) has solved some of the structural problems...and they are clearly ready to withdraw their entire design and involvement. Wow. This is an amazing process to me. Estonia as a young country trying to understand who they are as a newly reborn democracy asks the youth to create the symbol of their freedom. And then support them through out the entire process.  Not only that, the issues around its creation reflected such a sense of history and respect for both the land and its people.   And all of this happening through calm civil discussion (well at one point, toward the end, one person is filmed spitting on the monument..but then nobody responses...they just let that person express her feelings.  How different from what is happening in Egypt. I am not in any way, intending to imply one way is better or worse...(the nature of these two people are so different...not to mention the weather !!!) but it is strange to experience such a juxtaposition.


Oh- about the year of the Rabbit reference. This will be celebrated starting today and through the weekend in Vabaduse Valjak (Freedom Square) (where the monument is situated) with Dragon dances and ice sculpture competions. And its all happening about 2 blocks from where we live. AMAZING !!!!


So, no photos today, it has been rainy and grey, but I hope to post more photos later. Also, in case anyone is wonderful, Bruce arrives today. I just got an email from him  from Amsterdam so I know he has landed safely on this side of the continent.  Soon I will get a bus to the airport..and I need to practice how to ask for our address in Estonian for a taxi ride back. 


Nagemiste...

No comments:

Post a Comment